- Candidate intends to have a professional acting career.
- Candidate needs to live in Los Angeles for the duration of the scholarship; this opportunity is currently available only in the Los Angeles Studio.
- Candidate shows some proficiency/potential of the craft.
- Candidate is a minimum of 18 years old.
- Candidate identifies as Transgender or non-binary.
Our candidates are required to submit two essays of roughly 250-500 words each.
- Essay 1 – Why do you want to be an actor? What do you believe the job of a professional actor is?
- Essay 2 – What is an experience you have had that has had a strong impact on you and perhaps affected your understanding of vulnerability and empathy? How did it change you? Did this teach you anything about storytelling?
Our candidates are required to attend an audition (and possibly callback.) (Self-tapes may be accepted under certain circumstances.)
- Scene – Comedic/Dramatic Contemporary (3-4 minutes)
- Scenes may come from theater, film, or television. (We appreciate dramedy as well. Don’t feel stifled by the labels.) The candidate may bring a scene partner or we will provide an on-book reader.
All candidates will be required to attend an interview.
- This application must be submitted between October 15, 2018, and November 15, 2018.
- Two letters of recommendation (from other than relatives) must be submitted between October 15, 2018, and November 15, 2018.
- At least one letter must be from someone connected to the arts or entertainment industry – former teachers, directors are acceptable.
- All questions must be answered completely.
- Include a copy of your resume along with a list of any previous training. Feel free to include any other awards or commendations you have received.
- Finalists will be interviewed by the selection committee in early December.
- Scholarship recipients will be notified on December 10, 2018.
- Recipients may begin class in the first available Foundations opening of 2019.
If the winner chooses to postpone, the scholarship may be reserved for up to one year from the award date.
To submit your two letters of recommendation and your resume please email:
Write your name in the subject line along with AMAW Scholarship Application.