Fusion Lab is a pop-up shop style micro-cinema and media lab in Highland Park, Los Angeles that will be open from March 7 – March 30, 2013. Supported by a grant from the Irvine Foundation, Fusion Lab will host screenings of short films, filmmaking workshops taught by Outfest alumni, and workstations with cameras and editing software. Stop by Fusion Lab to rent a camera to make a short film that you can edit at computers and editing software also available for free.
Fusion Lab is located at 5503 North Figueroa Street, Los Angeles, CA, 90042. (At the corner of Figueroa and North 55 Ave. Accessible by Metro.)
Fusion Lab is open Wednesdays/Thursdays (12pm – 8:00pm), Fridays/Saturdays (12:00pm – 10:00pm) and Sundays (12:00pm – 8:00pm).
Filmmaker Work Stations
Filmmaker work stations include film cameras to rent and editing equipment to edit your films. Staff at Fusion Lab will be on hand to assist Lab attendees in creating short films through the filmmaking process. Many of the shorts films created in the Lab will find be screened on the Outfest website.
During March, Fusion Lab will provide free classes in directing, screenwriting, editing, and documentary filmmaking. These classes are taught by Outfest Alumni filmmakers and are a great introduction to filmmaking. We encourage you to reserve a spot for classes in advance, although you are welcome to walk-up and attend on a space available basis. There more classes coming for March 13, 21, 24, and 30 .
- March 10, 2:00pm – Directing Workshop taught by Jamie Babbit (Director of But I Am A Cheerleader, Itty Bitty Titty Committee, Smash, Drop Dead Diva, United States of Tara) Register here.
- March 16, 2:00pm – Writing and Directing Workshop taught by Carlos Portugal (Director of East Side Story). Register here.
- March 17, 2:00pm – Writing Workshop taught by Henry Alberto (She Kills He). Register here.
- March 20, 7:00pm – Writing Workshop with Alex Kondracke (L Word and Hung) & George Reyes. Register here.
- March 24, 12:00pm – Crafternoon, a craft workshop with Marcus Kuiland Nazaro. Register here
- March 24, 2:00pm – Editing Theory with Augie Robles (editor Mosquita y Mari, C.S.I.: Crime Scene Investigations) . Register here.
- March 24, 7:00pm – Hollywood Zen with Taj Paxton featuring guests: Quincy LeNear & Deondray Gossett. Register here.
- March 25, 6:00pm – Tabletop Moviemaking Workshop with Brick Maier. Register here.
- March 27, 7:00pm – Shooting & Producing Your Documentary, with Patti Lee. Register here.
- March 30, 2:00pm – Documentary Filmmaking Workshop with Dave O’Brien. Register here.
FREE Film Screening Series
On Fridays, Saturdays, and Sundays, four different shorts programs will be screened highlighting the best short films from Outfest Fusion and Outfest Los Angeles from the last 30 years. To ensure a seat for screenings, make your reservation now.
- Friday March 8 7:30: Welcome To My World – Register Here
- Saturday March 9 7:30: Catch Me If You Can – Register Here
- Sunday March 10 5:00: Hello Darling — Register Here
- Friday March 15 7:30: Catch Me If You Can – Register Here
- Saturday March 16 5:30: Hello Darling – Register Here
- Saturday March 16 7:30: Love Me or Leave Me *over 18 – Register Here
- Sunday March 17 5:00: Welcome To My World – Register Here
- Friday March 22 7:30 Welcome To My World — Register Here
- Saturday March 23 7:30 Hello Darling – Register Here
- Sunday March 24 5:00 Catch Me If You Can – Register Here
- Friday March 29 7:30: Love Me or Leave Me *over 18 – Register Here
- Saturday March 30 5:30: Welcome To My World – Register Here
- Saturday March 30 7:30: Catch Me If You Can – Register Here
With support from the Irvine Foundation